Informal Small Group Learning and Interactivity:
Taking Risks and Breaking Down Walls - by Steve Ackerman
Example Student Questions
- What is the real name for heat lightning?
- Can some weather systems get stuck in a valley?
- How can you have a large storm with tornadoes but no thunder and lightning?
- What is El Nino/La Nina?
- Why does it get still before a tornado?
- Why are thunder and lightning rare in a snowstorm?
- Why do hurricanes need warm water?
- Why do storms affect wave size?
- How high are the upper levels?
- How can you predict weather by knowing the pressure?
- Is there something special about Bob Lindmeier's Four-Degree Guarantee?
- What is Doppler radar?
- Why is Wisconsin cold?
- What is the largest snowflake on record and how can that be documented?
- How will you know when hail will occur?
- What is the jetstream?
- What is pressure/temperature/wind/precipitation /humidity/dewpoint?
- When air is lifted, why does its temperature drop?
- Air is usually more humid near a body of water, but why is relative humidity low on the West Coast when it is right next to the Pacific Ocean?
- If it's cold outside and you have glasses on, why do they fog when you come inside?
- If it's winter and you are inside where it is 70 degrees, why is it drier than in summer when air is 70 degrees?
- What is a mirage?
- Why do weather systems move from west to east across the United States but hurricanes move east to west?
Tell me more about this activity: